Mines & Quarries

An underwater mine exploited ore from the Flamanville rock from 1877 to 1962.


The underwater mine was located in Diélette, on the road leading to the EDF power plant. It was industrially exploited from 1877 before stopping definitively in 1962. When it was still in operation, it employed three hundred workers: miners, carters and blacksmiths. With the particularity of being dug under the sea in a rock extremely rich in iron, this mine was one of the most renowned in France. 

Before mining, Flamanville was famous for its granite quarries exploited since the 17th century.

Flamanville granite has been used in many buildings, including :

  • The harbor of Cherbourg,
  • The Obelisk needle in the Cherbourg town hall square,
  • The Place de la Concorde and the Pont Neuf in Paris,
  • The harbors of Querqueville, Le Homet and Ile Pelée.
  • The church, the castle and several remarkable buildings in Flamanville and the surrounding area.

It was in the middle of the 19th century, when the need for granite diminished, that iron ore began to replace it. The first extractions took place at sea, near the outer jetty, from two wells 150 meters deep.

The mine was regularly dewatered to combat heavy seepage, but remained in operation until July 1962.

The Mines and Quarries Museum

Would you like to find out more about the history of Flamanville’s mines and quarries? A permanent exhibition has been set up by the Mines and Quarries Association to retrace three centuries of wealth from granite and iron.

The Mines and Quarries Museum, located in the town center of Flamanville in the right wing of the Salle du Rafiot, is devoted to the old underwater iron mine and granite quarries. Many photos and tools are on display. A film of 30 minutes recounts the loading of ore onto a boat and the testimony of former miners.

In July and August, Tuesday to Saturday from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., Sunday welcome by a member of the Mines and Quarries association. Duration of the visit: 90 minutes.

2.50 euros / person.
Group price for 10 people or more: 2 euros/person.
Free for children under 12.

Possibility of opening the exhibition out of season by reservation for a group of 15 people minimum.


18 rue du Château
50340 Flamanville

Contact :
+33 (0)2 33 87 66 66